Thursday, December 15, 2011

Self-protection

I Samuel 17:38-48

Little David first dressed in big Saul's armor. It was cumbersome, heavy, wearying. Ill-fitting. David cast it all aside and went out to face the enemy with five smooth stones and Almighty God. Good exchange.

Sometimes I face the day with the clunky armor of mankind about my shoulders. I put on the things I think will protect me from being wounded by a hostile world. I arm myself with defensiveness, suspicion, selfish ambition. It is a burdensome load to bare to protect myself from the fears and worries of the day.

God invites me to lay that man-made, self-protecting armor aside and instead to pick up five smooth, well-worn, stones -- stones such as faith, truth, obedience, love, and the Name of the Lord Almighty. With these I am ready to go into the day with confidence and peace.

... it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s...



No comments:

Post a Comment