Saturday, December 24, 2011

Man-in-waiting

Luke 2:25-32

I have focused my Christmas mediations this year on these few verses where we meet Simeon as he meets his Lord and Savior. Simeon is a man-in-waiting. He doesn't just pass time as he waits (like we do at the airport), but he "eagerly" waits for God to send the one who would deliver Israel.  He doesn't sit idly while he waits (like we do at the doctor's office). Apparently he has been busy seeking and obeying God, for we are told he was "devout" and "righteous."

As he waited, God began to answer.  First, with the presence of the Holy Spirit, who 'was upon him'. Then with a promise, that he would see the Messiah before he died.  Then with the prompting to be at the right place at the right time. And finally, God put the answer to Simeon's prayers in his own arms.

On what do I wait? How do I wait? What do I do in the waiting? Is the Holy Spirit upon me so I can hear God's promise to me regarding my hope? When the answer comes, am I where I will find it? Will I recognize the answer when it arrives? And will I, like Simeon, take this gracious answer in my arms and lift it up in praise to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment