Sunday, December 11, 2011

Adventesimal

This poem was written by our son, Drake (26), and appears on his church's website as a part of their Advent Reflection series. Posted here with his permission.

Standing with my back to the past
I hunch slightly as most wouldn’t notice
We all do:
We maintain—collective—that you are coming
Bringing or sending
Sweet relief in the right hand
Sweeter justice in the other

A dark-grey form in the blackness ahead
Yet too distant, yet worthy of hope
But I suspect—no, anticipate—more:
More bending beneath the yoke of experience
More desperate squinting, ever straining to know
Shivering with uncertainty in the lukewarm air
Surely you are coming [Selah]

Ground beneath, its groans, reverberating
Provoke me to kneel, to steady
Groping blindly the dirt with one hand
Pressing softly my chest with the other
Peace:
I tell myself on your behalf
On your behalf, are you not coming?

Low I remain, fearfully planted
Unsure, unseeing, unable of other—
Lo! I remain:
Spring up, O righteous Jeremiah’s Branch
O living Redeemer of Job
For trembling I here of this clay and this stone
Have naught but to wait for my Lord

-------------
Happy Birthday (yesterday), Drake.

No comments:

Post a Comment