Over the years, one way I have learned to 'let the word of Christ dwell richly within' me is to rework passages of Scripture in my own words -- taking the thoughts expressed by the writer and re-expressing them in ways that are in keeping with my personality, my needs, my current realities, my growing knowledge of God. Below is a recent example. See also: Eighty-nine nine and My Psalm 144:12-14;
Psalm 143
1-2: God, I am begging you to hear me and answer me. I know you will answer because of who you are are—faithful, good, mighty, right. I have nothing to bargain with, nothing to offer. So I know your answer will not come as a reward or a payment for services rendered.
3-4: I feel like I have been attacked—ambushed, knocked down, assaulted. I can't see where this is coming from, or the way out. And I am losing all sense of feeling. Like a dead person, I am lifeless and dumb. Fear and hopelessness have rendered me helpless and impotent. I have no strength or wisdom to get out of this.
5-6: But I do remember other times when this happened before. And I recall what you did then. How mighty and kind and gracious you were. That memory gives me the courage to pray now, though weak and needy.
7: I need you to act quickly. I don't think I can hold on much longer. I am so tired and overwhelmed. If you don't act right away, I just can't go on.
8-9: At the beginning of each day, every day, today, speak words of comfort and love and hope, O, Lord. I will look to you for that, and believe you will do it. And, as your words of love give me strength to press on, please show me what to do, where to go, how to act. Each day. Every day. Today. I surrender. Not to that which seeks to conquer me, but to you. I look to you. Pull me out of my vulnerability, out of the open range where I am an easy-shot. Hide me where none can find me or hurt me. Hide me in you.
10: And there, help me learn all I should from this experience Teach me how to think, act and feel like the One in whose image I am made. And when I am restored, release to me the One who will guide me into all truth, that I may walk where I should without slipping or falling or going astray.
11: As I declared at the beginning, I am not asking you to do this as a reward or honor—for I have nothing due to me. I ask you to do this to show off your own kindness and faithfulness, for the honor of your own name. Don't let me die here. Now. Get me out of here, please.
12: As a part of your goodness; don't just save me. Also destroy them. All of them. Those that want to conquer me. So that they don't keep beating me down and keep me from serving you.
You've been much on my mind, lately, Carol. I appreciate both the raw honesty and defiant trust in your personalized prayer above. May the word of Christ indeed dwell in you richly as you walk the path ahead. As I said to one of our kids last night, "God's not moving" -- meaning the transition I'm feeling so keenly is not shaking up His world in the least!
ReplyDelete