But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41,42
I have a dual personality, it seems. I have a Mary-heart, and a Martha-mind. My heart longs to just be with Jesus, while my mind is hurriedly making lists and plans and agendas and schedules.
My Mary-heart sits quietly, intent on only one thing, like an empty jar waiting be filled with the fullness of the Master. While my Martha-mind blows in, with a notepad full of items to discuss, questions to ask, suggestions to offer. So many things.
Just as Jesus calmed the storm upon the sea, so he speaks peace to the swirl of my Martha-mind. Like a map to a hidden treasure, he says, "start here." Start with the one thing. "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness..." then the rest will be cared for. (Matthew 6:33).
Thanks, Carol, for your encouraging thoughts. One of your sentences unlocked a mystery about myself: "I have a Mary-heart, and a Martha-mind." That's me, too, but I never have been able to put it into words. Thanks for helping me make sense of this part of what makes me me.
ReplyDeleteLinda