Monday, May 19, 2014

The power of invitation


My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming." Psalm 27:8



"Come."  It may be the most overlooked yet powerful word in the English language. It speaks of being included. Of belonging. It comforts us in our deepest area of need to say we are noticed. We matter. We are wanted.

Throughout the Scriptures God issues His invitations to us. 

To us who are longing.
"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost." Isaiah 55:11 (NIV)

To us who are weary.
[Jesus speaking] “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” Matthew 11:28-30 (MSG)

To us who are aimless. 
Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” And they left their nets at once and followed him.  Matthew 4:19-20 (NLT)

To us who are soiled.
"Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool.”  Isaiah 1:18 (NASB)

To us who are willing.
And He said, "Come!" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus.  Matthew 14:29 (NASB) 

To you. To me. To us.  

"LORD, I am coming."






1 comment:

  1. Out of my bondage, sorrow, and night,
    Jesus, I come! Jesus, I come!
    Into Thy freedom, gladness, and light,
    Jesus, I come to Thee!
    Out of my sickness into Thy health,
    Out of my want and into Thy wealth,
    Out of my sin and into Thyself,
    Jesus, I come to Thee!

    Out of my shameful failure and loss,
    Jesus, I come! Jesus, I come!
    Into the glorious gain of Thy cross,
    Jesus, I come to Thee!
    Out of earth’s sorrows into Thy balm,
    Out of life’s storm and into Thy calm,
    Out of distress to jubilant psalm,
    Jesus, I come to Thee!

    Out of unrest and arrogant pride,
    Jesus, I come! Jesus, I come!
    Into Thy blessed will to abide,
    Jesus, I come to Thee!
    Out of myself to dwell in Thy love,
    Out of despair into raptures above,
    Upward for aye on wings like a dove,
    Jesus, I come to Thee!


    Source: http://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/1050#ixzz32DNTUwwl

    ReplyDelete