I took the communion wafer, sipped the wine and turned to return to my pew. Looking around the congregation of people whom I know and love, I saw the body of Christ. The lady there, digging through a divorce, the young man on the left desperately seeking a job, the great-grandmother in front, diligently praying for her young loved one addicted to drugs, the child born with fetal-alcohol-syndrome squirming in the back. And I am here too, frail, finite, fallen...forgiven.
The body of Christ...broken. Broken like shattered glass in a multitude of colors and hues and shapes and textures.
"The Body of Christ, broken for you and for many." Could it be in the death of Christ God sweeps up our brokenness along with his Son's broken body, and in the resurrection we see the glorious stained-glass creations He has made from our lives, alive and brilliant as His redemptive grace shines through them?
What a poignant and beautiful picture. I am brought to tears and grateful.
ReplyDeleteThanks
Karen