Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Growing

Fear of the LORD is the foundation of true wisdom. All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom. Praise him forever! Psalm 111:10 (NLT) 

You know the experience. You look in the mirror at some point and think, "Wow, I need a hair cut!" Or for some of us the revelation comes through a nudge from spouse or sibling, "Hmm. Time for a trim, eh?" The fact is, you never really s-a-w the hair growing, even though every moment of every day it was. While you were busy tending to the rest of life, growth happened.

Spiritual growth can be like that too. Someday we have an encounter and think, "Ah. I don't get frustrated with that person like I used to," or, "I'm looking forward to reading the Bible these days." Or someone else comments, "You sure seem to be more at peace."

Like with my hair, I'm not responsible for my spiritual growth. The Holy Spirit does that. But it is my job to do the things that encourage growth and to be sure I don't impede it. So, I just as I help my hair stay healthy by washing it regularly, and not putting harsh chemicals on it, for my spirit's well-being I avoid things that stunts its growth -- deterrents like gossip, bitterness, grumbling, isolation, and unbelief. Instead I participate in the things that foster spiritual growth: worship, obedience, confession, service, thanksgiving, partaking in the sacraments.


PS -- Happy Birthday to my precious one whose spirit (and hair!)  is growing more and more beautiful every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment