John 15:16 You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.
I was teaching a Sunday School class of 80+ year old women. We were talking about what it means to pray in Jesus' name. Mrs. R. told of the time after her husband passed away and she was trying to get her own credit card for buying gasoline. She was denied because as a home maker she had no work history. In other words, she had no credibility. But her son, a business man, was able to get her one in his name. He had the credibility and she could buy her gas using his name.
When I pray, I come to God on the merits of Christ's relationship and obedience to the Father. He has the credibility and I may confidently approach God in Jesus' name.
Good illustration. I'll remember that, Carol.
ReplyDeleteLinda
I like that analogy. I think for some [post-]modern people, the idea that they're in debt (sinful) and that Christ pays that debt for them is difficult to accept. For us "good people" who think we have no debt, this expresses the relationship in a different way: we have no credit (righteousness?) and Christ has his father adopt us, that we might become part of the family and stand with high credit in the family name.
ReplyDeleteNot to deny the very real debt (sin), though...
Thanks, Drake. Good thoughts.
ReplyDeleteOh, yes! I remember similar experience when my husband was filling out a form (actually a little "blurb" for a class reunion) on a friend's behalf. So he had to write it as he thought his friend would write it - in other words, "in his name".
ReplyDeleteThat really got me thinking about how I pray. Am I approaching the Father in prayer the way I (to the best of my current spiritual maturity) think Jesus would? Am I really praying "in His name"?
And when I knowingly pray selfishly, concluding with "in Jesus' name" -- am I guilty of taking His name in vain?
Melody, thanks for taking time to comment. I wonder, too, if we take His name in vain when we pray mindlessly and then use "in Jesus Name" as a kind of closing, like "sincerely yours." His Name has such glory and power and goodness wrapped up in. It is surely a travesty to toss it in to 'close the deal.'
ReplyDeleteYes, yes - that, too. You've said it well: 'when we pray mindlessly'... and then toss in "In Jesus Name" to 'close the deal'. Jesus, forgive me!
ReplyDelete