Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Overflowing cup

In the 23rd Psalm, verse 5, we read, "my cup overflows."  Or as The Message renders it, "my cup brims with blessing."

I don't offer to God a bucket or a tub to fill. I offer him a cup and He then fills it beyond what it can hold. If I knew he was going to pour that much, why didn't I just grab a bigger cup? Then I would be able to collect more of what he gives, and less would spill out.

Unless of course, the spillage is part of the plan.

What if I offered even a smaller cup; what if it took even less for me to be satisfied? Would there be even more spillage, more to splash out onto others?

Maybe instead of praying as Jabez did, "Enlarge my borders," my prayer should be, "Reduce my container."

---------------------------

1 comment: