Monday, October 18, 2010

A morning prayer

If the chief aim of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever, as we are instructed in the Westminster Catechism, then a daily morning prayer might be:

This day, Lord, may I give perpetual praise to the glory of your name.
Thank you for a new day with new opportunities to bring you glory. Help me to recognize and seize each one.

     May I bring you glory in what my thoughts dwell upon.
     May I bring you glory in the words I speak and write.
     May I bring you glory in each action and reaction, deliberate and unintentional.
     May you receive glory by the choices I make to not do what I should not do.
     May you receive glory by the choices I make to do what I should do.

This day, Lord, may I enjoy you.
Your people. Your world. Your ways. Your gifts. Your word. Your love.

Restore the joy you gave me in the beginning when I first believed. That joy is tired and tarnished now. Refresh my joy this day that I might delight in your goodness once again. Grant me gladness of heart that I may dance before you.  Amen

-----------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Your words and meditations bless me!

    LT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep mulling over the sentence "That joy is tired and tarnished now." I keep wondering -- why is that our experience?! (Yes, it is mine, too.) Yet if I could only realize that truly knowing God will always be a "further up and further in" adventure, there would never be a day when my joy could become tired and tarnished. And, indeed, it would be impossible NOT to "enjoy God forever"!

    ReplyDelete