Wednesday, September 8, 2010

REALLY Wanting Wisdom

Proverbs 2:1-4   Personalized and elaborated.

Lord, help me listen [but not the way I listen to the radio while driving, or how I pay attention to the child tugging at my shirt while I talk on the phone]

to what You say [through Your Word, through Your people, through Your Spirit] [whether or not I like what you say],

and treasure [like the one thing I'd grab if the house was on fire] Your commands [which aren't suggestions, or wise ideas, but are required of me as your child].

Help me to tune my ears to [like I acutely hear the cry of my baby among all the other sounds in  crowded nursery] Your wisdom [YOUR wisdom -- the wisdom that is from above and "is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy" (James 3:17)]  and concentrate on [focus on, like I do when learning something new] understanding.

Hear me as I cry out [plead and beg as though my life depended on it] for insight, and ask for understanding. Enable me to search for them as I would for silver [for that which is precious to me, as I would for my lost child]; seek them like hidden treasures [recognizing that Your insight and understanding are not always obvious or easy to spot].

1 comment: