Monday, December 8, 2014

What's in your closet?

As it is written in Isaiah the prophet: "BEHOLD, I SEND MY MESSENGER AHEAD OF Y OU, WHO WILL PREPARE YOUR WAY; THE VOICE OF ONE CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS, 'MAKE READY THE WAY OF THE LORD, MAKE HIS PATHS STRAIGHT.'" John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. (‭Mark‬ ‭1‬:‭2-4‬ NASB)

Second Sunday of Advent, December 7, 2014

One of the things we do in Advent is clear out the clutter. Something new is coming and we must make space for it. So we open the closets of our hearts and tackle the tedious and terffifying process of repentence.  John the Baptist was the "clutter coach". He showed us how to get rid of the things that would block the way of the One who makes all things new. "Repent," he said.

"This pride that convinces you you don't need help? Throw it out!"  
"The fear, that holds you back from reaching out? Pull it up!"
"The self-seeking, that wants not only to be loved, but to be worshiped? Cast it aside!"

Confession and repentence and forgiveness are how we "make ready the way of the Lord."

What's in your closet?

--------------------------

Prayer of Confession complied from various traditional prayers.

Almighty and most merciful Father, I confess thatI have erred and strayed from your ways like a lost sheep,
I have followed too much the devices and desires of my own heart, I have offended against your holy laws,
I have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed.I have left undone those things which I ought to have done,and I have done those things which I ought not to have done.
I have not loved you with my whole heart;
I have not loved my neighbors as myself.
I am truly sorry and humbly repent.  For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ,
spare me as I confess my faults,
restore me, for I am penitent,
have mercy on me and forgive me;
that I may delight in your will, and walk in your ways,
that I may hereafter live a godly, righteous, and sober life,
according to your promises declared unto mankind
in Christ Jesus my Lord;
to the glory of your holy Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment