Sunday, June 17, 2012

Reminder

Beware lest you say in your heart, 'My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.' You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. And if you forget the Lord your God and go after other gods and serve them and worship them, I solemnly warn you today that you shall surely perish.  Deuteronomy 8:17-19

Recently I was given some new responsibilities that are broad and big. It was tempting to feel that something I had done had earned for me this new opportunity. Until I came upon these verses from Deuteronomy.  A fit reminder. These words don't just give me a new way to think, or a formula for humility. These words are truth. And a "solemn warning." I am where I am by God's choosing. I have what I have by His blessing. Nothing to claim as my own, to feel superior about. And if I forget that truth, if I turn to the gods of power, and ambition, and pride, then I can be sure the God who gives will also take away.

No comments:

Post a Comment