"I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid." John 14:27 (NLT)
What do you do when offered a gift? In my upbringing, you accept it with profuse appreciation. Then you might tuck it away in the closet to later put into the 'goodwill' bin, or re-gift it to someone who might actually want it or make better use of it. In a few instances you might actually like it and use it. It is at those times that you actually receive the gift.
Throughout the Gospels, Jesus tells us of many things God will give or has given those who follow Him: rest (Matthew 11:28); authority (Matthew 10:1); instructions (Matthew 11:1); the life of Jesus as a ransom (Mark 10:45); the right to become children of God (John 1:12); the Holy Spirit (John 14:16), and many more.
In John 14:27, Jesus offers his followers the gift of peace of mind and heart. What have I done with that gift? Put it away for a time when I really need it? Dismissed it as something I don't really want? Rejected it for the costly and impotent substitute the world offers?
Or have I received the peace of Christ (that passes understanding-that is not like what the world gives), so my troubled soul is calmed and my fearful heart is comforted?
A good word! And it came at just the right time for me! I need the gift of peace today.
ReplyDeleteFran B.