Sunday, January 8, 2012

Obscurity

I was asked to give devotions for a missions recruitment event. I felt very honored to be asked. To be honest, I felt very important to be asked. When I arrived, the organizer was not there, but his assistant greeted me with a hurried, "Oh, you must be the devotional speaker. We'll be ready in a few minutes," and dashed off to take care of some other duty. When it was time for me to speak, the assistant introduced me by saying, "Our director arranged for this speaker, please welcome her."  There I stood, nameless and obscure, feeling no longer honored or important. Just a filled block on a schedule. 

Sometime later I received a note from a participant in the event. "What you said had a deep impact on me. It has changed how I listen to God's word and apply it to my life. Thank you." As I read this I recalled how I had felt as I stood before the group -- obscure (the condition of being unimportant or unknown). Yet God's word had been delivered in power and accomplished its work.

"Meanwhile, be content with obscurity like Christ" Colossians 3:4c (MSG)
 

1 comment:

  1. Great story, Carol. God uses our words--it's all about Him! I wish I could have heard your message.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete